Friday, September 27, 2013

Homemade All-in-one Hair, Body & Shave Shower Cream



There's something about making your own cosmetics and bath products that lifts my spirits instantly. 

Not only does your wallet notice how much cheaper it is to make homemade products, but it adds so much more than that to you and your entire family. 

Handcrafting something that is useful and healthy adds value & appreciation to an every day product. I find that every time I whip up something new, both my 5 year old, 15 year old and husband show some excitement in seeing, smelling and trying them out.

After dropping off Abber-dabber at Kindergarten today, I went to the locally owned dollar store in search of any kind of contraption that would indefinitely trap and kill fruit flies {it's bad this year!!!}. This store is slowly becoming more of a liquidator than a typical dollar store, which is exactly the type of store I like to shop in! 

Just one of the things I scored today is a glass tea-diffuser pitcher! The original price was $37 and I picked it up for $2.88. Woooooooop!!!

Rushing in the door with eagerness to try it, I grabbed a few sprigs of fresh lavender leaves and flowers on the way in, ran out back to grab a few mint leaves, disturbed them a little, then combined the two with a dash of fresh lemon zest, added hot water and WAH-LAH!

Delicious, homegrown tea. Ahh... Yes, it tasted a bit Spring-y, but that's the best I could do in a moments notice, and I'll take Lavender anything, any time of year!

************* 

Of course, combining herbs and making my own of anything always fires up my creative juices for the day, so I was not even close to done!

As I sat staring at an array of supplies I've accumulated over the months, I remembered reading about a basic homemade shampoo that literally consisted of only two ingredients, water and baking soda. 

After trying this, the watery solution I ended up with was not satisfying. To thicken it up a bit I added some corn starch. It was... OK. But still not great. 

It needed some soothing oils. 

A dash of Olive Oil and a hint of Vitamin E oil did the trick!

But it was still watery....

Ah ha!! I have a gallon of unscented liquid hemp castille soap that I use tiny amounts of for Carlin's cloth wipie solution.

Added the soap, gave it a vigorous shake, and ended up with a wonderfully foamy, lathery, silky cream that feels incredible on the skin.


Pictured:  Citrus All-in-one Shower Cream & Patchouli/Sweet Orange All-in-one Shower Cream with the bubbly/lathering effect shown; Fresh herbs/herbal tea; Lavender Salt Bath Soak.
Ingredients in shower creams: water, baking soda, corn starch, liquid hemp castille soap, vitamin E oil, olive oil.

Lather as usual into scalp. onto loofa/rag for body & onto legs for shaving. Use within one month. 


What is great about this cream is that it can literally be used from head to toe in the shower, which has me now calling it my All-in-one Shower Cream

It is perfect for a Shampoo, leaves you feeling clean and silky smooth when you use it as a body wash, and your legs will be soft and shiny after you used it as a shaving cream. 

The Citrus Shower Cream is a subtle pick-me-up as the aroma fills the shower all around you, while that Patchouli-Sweet Orange Shower Cream has a warm and earthy aroma, making it a perfect go-to for the Autumn season.

Next, I will make a minty cream and a Juniper Berry cream, which has the essence of pine or tree sap (not berries!), for a medicinal-smelling {and winter appropriate!} shower cream.

What is your favorite cosmetic you have ever made? Would love to hear about it!


*******

You can make these cosmetics at home too! You should give it a try! It's super easy and so very gratifying. 

But if you would love to benefit from homemade products that are better for you, your wallet and the environment but you cannot or do not wish to make your own, you can buy them from muah, the Modern Hippie Momma

I make sugar scrubs, facial scrubs, hair & body oils, coffee scrubs, bath salt soaks, lotions & creams, shower creams... You name it!

All natural. All made with Essential Oils.

Lavender, Sweet Orange, Patchouli, Tea Tree, Juniper Berry, Peppermint, Lemongrass

2 oz = $6.00
4 oz = $12.00
8oz = $18.00

Buy 3 of anything, in any combination, GET THE 4th (lessor priced) ITEM FREE!
Perfect for a Harvest or Holiday gift & even Birthdays!!

All shipments will be sent USPS Ground, unless otherwise requested. Purchaser to pay shipping.
Contact Amanda at mhippiemomma@gmail.com to inquire.

2 comments:

  1. This is cool im going to try it. I have natural thick curly hair, I was thinking about using a natural shampoo made with baking soda but my hair is very dry so I got scared to try it. I will try it and add in some oil and see if that works. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete